Thursday, August 4, 2011

Sweet Charity

I was lucky to be part of the Makeup Forever Pro team again yesterday. We did the makeup for the play entitled, "Sweet Charity." It was my first time to do stage makeup and it was a different kind of learning experience indeed! The key tips I learned were:  a) pile on the foundation  b) go heavy on the contour c) intensify eye makeup as much as possible; all of these are key tips because onstage, under those bright lights, probably around 30-50% off the makeup gets washed out. The eye makeup was really our focal point since the play is set in the 60's. The peg for the looks were Twiggy and Sophia Loren, big hair and double winged liner for the eyes.

Sweet Charity is brought to us by 9 Works Theatrical and Nikki Gil stars as Charity Hope Valentine, the lead character. In 1969, when it was made into a movie, Shirley Maclaine played this role and in 2004, Christina Applegate debuted on broadway playing this role as well and was nominated for a Tony Award in 2005.

Simply put, Sweet Charity is a story about a highly optimistic but gullible girl who, despite working as a dance hostess, never ceases to search for true love and always finds herself giving her love to the wrong man. When fate gets her trapped in an elevator, she meets a man named Oscar whom she falls in love with and asks to marry her. However, towards the end when Oscar gets clouded by issues of purity (given Charity's work background), he backs out from the engagement and their relationship is ended, leaving Charity more heartbroken than ever. With the help of Charity's friends at the dance joint, Charity soon gets back on her feet again and begins to live a life happily ever after, full of hope. 

When I got home yesterday and was about to transfer my photos from my memory card to my laptop, I shockingly find that all of the photos I took from backstage and the actual play were all gone!!! :( I don't know how it happened but now I have no more photos. I only have 1 semi-blurry photo from my phone and another one with our makeup team for the day which I grabbed from my fellow makeup artist friend, Jinkee. 
a scene from the play

with the Makeup Forever team


Hope you can watch and support this funny musical! Nikki Gil plays her role excellently and the rest of the cast are spectacular too!

4 comments:

  1. thanks dons! see you tomorrow yay!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was there and had seen for myself the glorious performance! Kudos to the entire team and the support, including their makeup artists!

    ReplyDelete